My Toddler’s Funny Bone

By: Sheana Ochoa

I’m in love with my two-year-old son.  I know I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating. Because believe me, he is a gas. Even though the first words out of his mouth when he wakes, when I get him from daycare, and all through the evening are “I wanna,” I’m in love with him.  Only other parents get this, just like dog lovers when they start talking about their pets.  But whenever another mother finds out I have a two-year-old, she says, “Oh that’s the funnest age!”  And that’s true —I can’t see how it can get any more fun.

My kid has a fanciful funny bone!

I just never imagined a two-year-old could have a sense of humor.  When and how does one acquire a sense of humor?

Besides “I wanna,” Noah’s favorite refrain is “That’s funny.”  A dog licking him, a man wearing a strange hat, spilling juice as I’m pouring it into his sippy cup are all cause for laughter.  And we laugh hard.  We guffaw.

I need this right now.  In three weeks to the day, I’m getting married.  It’s a stressful time, busy-stressful.  So, although I want to check the order for party favors or call the hotel to see if people are reserving their rooms or finish writing thank you notes for our engagement party, I can’t do any of these things with a two-year-old’s constant need for attention: more juice, let’s run, I’m hungry, let’s read a book, sit down, let’s jump, come here!

He knows who the boss is, but boy does he do a lot of bossing around. So, although I’m put out for a second to have to stop what I’m doing, I end up having more fun being with him.  (Just now, my fiancé and I are at our computers [both on deadline] and he comes over from his temporary babysitter, “Baby Einstein”, and throws a big cloth globe at Daddy’s face.) Earlier when the plumber was over, Noah was naked (so that I can tell when he needs to pee —we’re potty training) and I didn’t want him running around willy-nilly, forgive the pun, in front of a stranger.  He’s in the hall and I whisper, “Hey, come here, let’s put some shorts on you.”  And without skipping a beat he looks at me, resolute in his decision not to follow my instructions and begins to walk away. “Noah!” I whisper louder so the plumber doesn’t hear.  He vacillates between coming into his room to change and going on his merry way, when I whisper more loudly, trying to sound authoritative: “No, really, Noah there’s someone here and you don’t have clothes on.”  He copies my tone with all the gravitas I’ve just displayed: “I’ll be right back.”  It was hilarious and suddenly I couldn’t care less about his willy on display.  We both laughed so long, the plumber was gone by the time we were done.

Noah will of course be our ring bearer.  That’s another thing on the list: getting him a tuxedo.  A tux at two, what could be cuter?  I’m gushing now, I know, but I guess what I’m getting at is this: if you’re planning a big change in your life: moving, a wedding, going back to school, changing jobs, etc, time it so you have a two-year-old around.  Most people would say a toddler would only make the situation more complicated, but it isn’t true: they make it fun.

Comments

1. says

First off Noah is gorgeous. I loved this story as usually you think of terrible two’s and here you are exulting it. Congrats on your soon to be marriage. Can’t wait to follow you along on this journey as well.

2. Sheana Ochoa says

Thanks Madge, I think he’s pretty gorgeous too. Yeah, it’s the countdown now to the aisle. I’m sure I”ll have a lot to say about it.

3. Adriana says

Sheana! I miss you guys so much!
    And boy has Noah grown. He’s such a cutie!

Soo, I’ll be transferring after this semester and things will start getting harder and harder. Are you suggesting that I have a kid? loll I mean I love them. All I need is for a seal of approval…and maybe a man…hmm

4. Tashia says

Love this post (and pic)! My daughter still has a few months to go before she turns 2, but it’s pretty much a given that the “Terrible Twos” (or is it the “Terribly Funny Twos”??) starts around 18 months, so I can relate. On the one hand her stubbornness and tantrums (although fortunately not as bad as they could be) drive me up the wall sometimes, but she certainly does make me laugh too!

I’ve been saying that this past Sunday she officially became a toddler because I heard her say the words “no” and “mine” for the first time, and she also threw a tantrum (not her first) when it was time to leave the park. But Sunday evening she more than made up for it at bathtime. She farted in the tub, laughed out loud, and then when I teasingly said “Did you fart?” she got a very serious look on her face and said “NO”. And then we both cracked up! The same scenario was repeated three times in a row. Such a silly childish thing to be laughing about, but boy was it funny! I can just hear Noah saying “I’ll be right back” just like Kayleigh said “NO”. :)

I’m sure Noah’s laugh-inducing antics are just the antidote for this time of stress and chaos!

5. Sheana Ochoa says

Tashia,
    Your post made me laugh out loud. Yes, we too laugh at farts. I love that Kayleigh denied it. Noah always denies his poopie diapers. Yes, this is the fun part. Thanks for reading my blog.

6. Mary Jager says

Tashia, when you know what to call yourself, let me know! I’m an old SMC who had 2 children via anonymous donor insem and married when they were 5 1/2 and nearly 2. I now have third child, he’s 4 1/2, with my husband who has legally adopted the other 2. I still feel like an SMC in my hear–I mean I struggled with getting pregnant, had major fertility issues, and struggled to feed a family on my own for 5 1/2 years before my hubby came along.

I wish you luck in your marriage. I think not having to deal with a divorced father makes for blending parenting styles much easier–but it’s still a challenge for an SMC to let go when you’re accustomed to total control!

Mary