Top 10 Reasons Men Sag Their Pants
By Carol Rood
I work with teenagers.
I live with teenagers.
I hang out with teenagers and young adults.
I actually pride myself on the fact that I can speak their language and tend to “get” them (for the most part). I like hanging out with them. In fact, I find myself thinking about my own teenage-hood when I am hanging out with them.
My kids don’t read my blog and for that I am often grateful. After all, since they don’t read the blog I can bad mouth them, talk shit about them, generally smear their names, or I can tell things about myself that I don’t necessarily want them to know.
So, back to my original point, which is that I feel that I “get” them for the most part. I have learned not to share too much about me, but am able to get them to open up about themselves. They seem to trust me. Even my 15-year-old will admit that while I am a “Super nag” about his schoolwork, I have NEVER embarrassed him in front of his friends, or given him a hard time about his girlfriend. I am one of those adults who believe that teens can experience true love, and have NEVER said to a teenager, “You don’t even know what love is”. Of course they do. They have the same feelings adults do, to the extreme in many cases. They fall in love. They care for each other. The fastest way to stop your teen from listening to you is to tell them they don’t “really” love their girlfriend or boyfriend.
I do get young people, I do love hanging out with them, but I still sometimes think they are stupid. Boys can be stupid. ESPECIALLY the ones who wear their pants down low and show their boxers. This is behavior I just don’t get. I mean, really, I just don’t understand why they do that. I can’t even tell you how many times I have wanted to walk up to the young guys I see on the campus where I attend college classes and say to them, “Listen, I know I am a middle-aged white lady who just really doesn’t get it, but could you please tell me what it is that goes through your head when you get dressed in the morning, and choose to put on your pants, and then belt them around your thighs?”
Is this sexy????
I am a gal who wears my pants at the appropriate place on her body. Which for a plump, middle-aged woman, is waist high or therabouts. No low riders for me……..no ma’am. I have a hard enough time keeping the muffin top under control as it is.
But back to the matter at hand…which is why do young men wear their pants so low?
TOP 10 REASONS YOUNG DUDES WEAR THEIR PANTS SO LOW (“BUST A SAG”):
10: They just have too much junk in their pants (i.e. well endowed) and they need more room for things to “spread out”, shall we say….
9. They have just spent lots of money on VERY cool boxers and want to share their amazing undies with the world.
8. They are working on their arm muscles, and having to reach down and hitch up their pants every two steps while they are walking is a mini workout.
7. They have a new amazing belt, and think if they belt their pants around their thighs, you will have more opportunity to see it.
6. There was a super clearance sale at the Big and Tall shop, and they just couldn’t pass up a good bargain, even if the pants are three sizes too big.
5. They received hand me downs from a much larger person, and just couldn’t refuse accepting and wearing them (possible beat down there).
4. They have recently lost LOTS of weight and therefore their pants don’t fit properly anymore, and constantly fall down.
3. They have decided they are taking a stand on running, they are just NOT going to do it, hence the low pants…you can’t run in those things even if you needed to. Criminals who need to get away fast do NOT wear saggy britches…….Just sayin’……
2. They have decided to boost the economy in their later years by ruining their hips now (have you seen the wide stance walk they have to use to move in their way too big pants), so they can spend money later on things like walkers, canes, etc to get around.
and the number 1 reason men wear their pants low:
1. They are overheated and just need the butt and nut air conditioning…….
I have to say that I did do some research on this topic, (so I could point out to my sons where it really started), and found that the explanation that this style started in prisons so men could show they were “available” for some “attention” is a myth. However, the style is related to prison garb, which is usually too large for inmates and they are not allowed belts, so they have to constantly hitch up their pants. Then some hip hop and rap artists took on the style as their own, and young men (particularly young urban men) started copying the rappers they admire so much. Some cities have banned the style, and at my son’s high school “sagging” is not allowed, and you can be sent home if you can’t conform to the dress code.
When I asked my young man (the newly minted 18-year-old) why he sags, he said it is so he can get a “breeze”. Seriously??? How hot can it get in his britches????